Does Taking Antibiotics Make Your Teeth Darker?
The relation between drugs and the colour of teeth can be of concern because some people worry that taking antibiotics such as tetracycline might make their teeth dark and greyish. But does taking such antibiotics at any age affect the colour of your teeth?
Tetracyclines are a group of antibiotics that may be used against a wide range of disease-causing bacteria. Drugs such as doxycycline and minocycline are also included in the tetracycline family. Their main use is to treat acne. Other uses of tetracycline are the treatment of infections of the respiratory tract, sinuses, intestines, gums, ears, urinary tract, and also gonorrhoea.
Tetracyclines are antibiotics that may affect the colour of teeth and bone during their development only. Primary teeth (or deciduous teeth) go through their development when the mother is still carrying her baby in her uterus. Permanent teeth (or adult teeth) are developed during childhood, when the infant still has his primary teeth in his mouth.
Tetracyclines should therefore be avoided in pregnant or lactating women, and in young children with developing teeth. A pregnant woman who takes tetracycline might cause stains to the deciduous teeth of her baby. A child who takes tetracycline might cause stains to his developing adult teeth. Those stains are usually internal and cannot be easily removed with conventional tooth whitening. It is therefore recommended not to give tetracycline to children under 12 years of age. They are however safe to use in the first 18 weeks of pregnancy.
Even though tetracyclines cause tooth discolouration for only developing teeth, they are considered very safe for adults, including women who are not pregnant. The tetracycline group is the only family of antibiotics that can stain developing teeth. All other antibiotics are not known to discolour teeth.
- What are the advantages of silver fillings?
- Can wisdom teeth move other teeth?
- Is a root canal painful?
- What might cause you to grind your teeth?
- Can heart disease be related to dental care?
- What Are the Symptoms of Having a Tooth Abscess?
- How does smoking affect oral health?
- How is infective endocarditis related to oral health?
- What Diseases Might Cause You to Have Dry Mouth?
- How can you tell that you are grinding your teeth?
- Should people with high blood pressure take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- What Might Happen if You Don't Treat a Tooth Abscess?
- How does smoking affect overall health?
- Should people with angina take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- How Can You Tell That You Have Dry Mouth?
- Why is teeth grinding harmful?
- Should people that had a heart attack take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- How Can You Treat a Tooth Abscess?
- How can smokers take care of their oral health?
- Should people that suffer from congestive heart failure take special precautions with their dental care?
- How Can You Treat Dry Mouth?
- How can you treat teeth grinding?
- Should people that have had coronary artery bypass surgery take special precautions with their dental care?
- How Can You Prevent a Tooth Abscess?
- Can teeth grinding affect children?
- Should people that have a pacemaker take special precautions with their dental care?
- How Can You Reduce the Effects of Dry Mouth?
- Does Taking Antibiotics Make Your Teeth Darker?
- How Can You Tell that You Have a Tooth Abscess?
- Are Dental X-Rays Safe for Pregnant Women?
- Can Dry Mouth be Harmful?
- When Can Someone Start Playing Sports again after Wisdom Tooth Surgery?
- Does Chewing Gum Help Eliminate Bad Breath?
- When Can You Eat and Drink after a Tooth Filling?
- What Can You Eat after Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
- How Long Does the Numbing from the Dentist Last?
- How Long Do Dissolvable Stitches Last after Having Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
- Is it Absolutely Necessary to Put a Dental Crown on a Tooth That Had a Root Canal?
- At What Age Do Children's Teeth Start Coming out?
- Is Amalgam in Teeth (Grey Fillings) Bad for Your Health?
- How Can You Get Rid of a Tooth Abscess?
- What Is the Total Number of Teeth in the Mouth?
- What Lasts Longer, Grey Fillings or White Fillings?
- Do You Have to Remove Your Retainers when You Eat?
- Is it Painful to Place a Dental Implant in Your Mouth?
- When Can Someone Smoke after a Tooth Extraction?
- How soon after Tooth Extraction Can You Use a Straw?
- Which Is Better Retainers or Braces?
- Can an Abscess Cause a Tooth to Break Apart?
- Can you Drink Alcohol after a Tooth Extraction?
- Is It Normal if Your Gums Bleed when You brush Your Teeth?
- Does Chewing Gum after Eating Help to Remove Dental Plaque?
- How Long Does it Bleed after a Wisdom Tooth Has Been Extracted?
- How Can You Get Rid of an Ulcer or a Canker Sore on Your Tongue?
- Is a Tooth Alive?
- Is there a Relationship between Dental Problems and Overall Health Problems?
- What Can Happen if You Don't Treat a Cavity?
- Is Smoking Bad for Your Teeth?