After a tooth extraction, a blood cloth forms in the jaw where the tooth used to be. This blood cloth is the first phase of healing after the extraction. Any kind of suction in the mouth can dislodge that blood cloth and cause the healing to be late, or even create a painful condition known as a dry socket.
It is recommended not to drink from a straw for three days after a tooth extraction because that is the peak time when a dry socket can occur. Any suction in the mouth is not recommended during those three days, which includes spitting, and especially smoking.
The information above should be used as a reference only. Any medical decision should not be taken before consulting a health care professional.
The masculine gender may have been more used in the article, but without prejudice, to make reading easier.
Category: questions and answers
- Are dental x-rays safe for pregnant women?
- Are teeth alive?
- At what age do children’s teeth start coming out?
- Can an abscess cause a tooth to break apart?
- Can dry mouth be harmful?
- Can heart disease be related to dental care?
- Can teeth grinding affect children?
- Can wisdom teeth move other teeth?
- Can you drink alcohol after tooth extraction?
- Do you have to remove retainers or orthodontic appliances when you eat?
- Does chewing gum after a meal help eliminating dental plaque?
- Does chewing gum eliminate bad breath?
- For which sports should you use a mouthguard?
- How can smokers take care of their oral health?
- How can you get rid of a tooth abscess?
- How can you get rid of an ulcer or a canker sore on your tongue?
- How can you prevent a tooth abscess?
- How can you reduce the effects of dry mouth?
- How can you tell if you have a tooth abscess?
- How can you tell that you are grinding your teeth?
- How can you tell that you have dry mouth?
- How can you treat a tooth abscess?
- How can you treat dry mouth?
- How can you treat teeth grinding?
- How does smoking affect oral health?
- How does smoking affect overall health?
- How is infective endocarditis related to oral health?
- How long does it bleed after wisdom teeth extraction?
- How long does the numbing last after a dentist appointment?
- How many teeth are there in the mouth?
- How soon after tooth extraction can you use a straw?
- How thin are dental veneers?
- Is a root canal painful?
- Is amalgam in teeth (grey fillings) bad for your health?
- Is it necessary to place a dental crown on a tooth that had a root canal?
- Is it normal for gums to bleed when you brush your teeth?
- Is it painful to place a dental implant in your mouth?
- Is smoking bad for your teeth?
- Is there a relationship between dental problems and overall health problems?
- Should people that had a heart attack take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- Should people that have a pacemaker take special precautions with their dental care?
- Should people that have had coronary artery bypass surgery take special precautions with their dental care?
- Should people that suffer from congestive heart failure take special precautions with their dental care?
- Should people with angina take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- Should people with high blood pressure take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- What are the advantages of silver fillings?
- What are the symptoms of having a tooth abscess?
- What can you eat after wisdom teeth extraction?
- What diseases might cause you to have dry mouth?
- What lasts longer, grey or white fillings?
- What may happen if you don’t treat a cavity?
- What might cause you to grind your teeth?
- What might happen if you don’t treat a tooth abscess?
- When can you eat and drink after a tooth filling?
- When can you play sports after wisdom teeth surgery?
- When can you smoke after a tooth extraction?
- When do dissolvable stitches fall out after wisdom teeth extraction?
- Where does a tooth go after extraction?
- Which is better retainers or braces?
- Why are wisdom teeth called “wisdom teeth”?
- Why is teeth-grinding bad for you?
- Why you should not smoke after tooth extraction?
- Will taking antibiotics make the colour of your teeth darker?
Oh no not blood cloth
It is not always a problem.
Is this really where we are as a country that we need to explain or apologize for using an image with the “wrong” gender or race? I was looking for an answer to a dental question not get caught up in identity politics or politically correct don’t want to offend anyone cause they might cry about it nonsense. Gee whiz people. What happened to us?
I understand your point Sheila. I hope that at least the article was helpful.
It was helpful, thank you.
Hi so i got my teeth pulled a week and five days ago is it safe to drink from straw
Yes Alexander, it would be considered safe now.
I had a molar and 1 wisdom tooth removed 5 days ago, both on the upper right side of my mouth. Is it safe to smoke and drink from a straw? Also, part of my dissolvable suture became loose and fell out this morning, but I am in no pain so I think I might be healing at a slightly faster rate. Thoughts?
Yes Abby, after 5 days, it is much safer as if there Is dry socket, it usually occurs 3-5 days after tooth extraction.
My husband is on the third day, should he still wait to use a straw or is it ok by now?
Jolene, after 3 days, it is safe 🙂
I had my tooth extraction two weeks ago bottom one.. is it safe to drink with straw
Yes, now it is safe. I do hope though that your straw is not made from plastic, and from biodegradable material instead 😉
hello, I got my impacted wisdom teeth taken out friday after it is now tuesday night is it safe for me to drink from a straw ? even though bloodclots have formed ?
Yes, it is safe.
I had my far back bottom molar pulled 11 days ago. Is it safe to smoke and drink out of a straw yet or is it still possible to get a dry socket ?
Hi Kristen, after 11 days, it’s ok.
How long must I eat soft foods? Also a scab came out of my mouth yesterday? Is that normal? Today Is day 3
For about a week. Is something came out of your mouth and worries you, it’s best that you have it seen by your dentist.
1 had tooth extraction a week ago can i drink from a straw?
After a week, yes it is safe.