Are Dental X-Rays Safe for Pregnant Women?
A pregnant woman who has a tooth ache might hesitate before seeing a dentist, wondering how safe treatments might be for her future baby. If you are pregnant, the thought of taking dental x-rays might scare you off from visiting your dentist, because you are not sure how the radiation would affect your baby. Some future mothers would even hesitate to go for a regular dental check-up, not knowing if routine x-rays can harm the baby.
These worries are normal for a pregnant woman to have, especially if itís her first baby and she wants to take every precaution not to harm him. If you are suffering from a toothache or if you have a dental emergency, you would think that your dentist ideally needs a proper x-ray to detect what the problem is.
Dentists and doctors generally do not recommend that a pregnant woman takes x-rays during the first trimester of pregnancy. Furthermore, routine X-rays, which are usually taken during a dental check-up, should be postponed until after childbirth.
Emergency X-rays can be safe, if not carried out during the first three months of pregnancy. Your dentist uses a lead blanket to cover your body and protect your uterus from any radiation. That way your baby is almost totally protected.
Some dentists would also do treatments needing multiple x-rays, such as root canal therapy, but that remains controversial. If you are not sure whether you should start a major dental treatment when you are pregnant, you can discuss it with your dentist. Thereís a possibility of starting a major treatment by removing tooth decay or any infection on your tooth or on your gums. Full treatment can be finished after you have given birth. Therefore if you are suffering from dental pain, do not ignore it and call your dentist!
- Can wisdom teeth move other teeth?
- Is a root canal painful?
- What might cause you to grind your teeth?
- Can heart disease be related to dental care?
- What Are the Symptoms of Having a Tooth Abscess?
- How does smoking affect oral health?
- How is infective endocarditis related to oral health?
- What Diseases Might Cause You to Have Dry Mouth?
- How can you tell that you are grinding your teeth?
- Should people with high blood pressure take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- What Might Happen if You Donít Treat a Tooth Abscess?
- How does smoking affect overall health?
- Should people with angina take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- How Can You Tell That You Have Dry Mouth?
- Why is teeth grinding harmful?
- Should people that had a heart attack take precautions when undergoing dental treatments?
- How Can You Treat a Tooth Abscess?
- How can smokers take care of their oral health?
- Should people that suffer from congestive heart failure take special precautions with their dental care?
- How Can You Treat Dry Mouth?
- How can you treat teeth grinding?
- Should people that have had coronary artery bypass surgery take special precautions with their dental care?
- How Can You Prevent a Tooth Abscess?
- Can teeth grinding affect children?
- Should people that have a pacemaker take special precautions with their dental care?
- How Can You Reduce the Effects of Dry Mouth?
- Does Taking Antibiotics Make Your Teeth Darker?
- How Can You Tell that You Have a Tooth Abscess?
- Are Dental X-Rays Safe for Pregnant Women?
- Can Dry Mouth be Harmful?
- When Can Someone Start Playing Sports again after Wisdom Tooth Surgery?
- Does Chewing Gum Help Eliminate Bad Breath?
- When Can You Eat and Drink after a Tooth Filling?
- What Can You Eat after Wisdom Teeth Extraction?
- How Long Does the Numbing from the Dentist Last?
- How Long Do Dissolvable Stitches Last after Having Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
- Is it Absolutely Necessary to Put a Dental Crown on a Tooth That Had a Root Canal?
- At What Age Do Children's Teeth Start Coming out?
- Is Amalgam in Teeth (Grey Fillings) Bad for Your Health?
- How Can You Get Rid of a Tooth Abscess?
- What Is the Total Number of Teeth in the Mouth?
- What Lasts Longer, Grey Fillings or White Fillings?
- Do You Have to Remove Your Retainers when You Eat?
- Is it Painful to Place a Dental Implant in Your Mouth?
- When Can Someone Smoke after a Tooth Extraction?
- How soon after Tooth Extraction Can You Use a Straw?
- Which Is Better Retainers or Braces?
- Can an Abscess Cause a Tooth to Break Apart?
- Can you Drink Alcohol after a Tooth Extraction?
- Is It Normal if Your Gums Bleed when You brush Your Teeth?
- Does Chewing Gum after Eating Help to Remove Dental Plaque?
- How Long Does it Bleed after a Wisdom Tooth Has Been Extracted?
- How Can You Get Rid of an Ulcer or a Canker Sore on Your Tongue?
- Is a Tooth Alive?
- Is there a Relationship between Dental Problems and Overall Health Problems?
- What Can Happen if You Donít Treat a Cavity?
- Is Smoking Bad for Your Teeth?